Job Search Do's and Don'ts
"If Plan A didn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters."
- Be realistic
- Follow up. Thank you notes are a must!
- Think outside the box
- Look online, apply in person
- Stay positive
- Use the economy as an excuse
- Be above any job
- Be afraid of rejection and don't take it personally, click here for tips
- Make assumptions
- Be afraid of change
Great Articles and Web Links
Resumes, Cover Letters, and Other Communications
- Here’s a neat tip to move your resume to the top of the pile.
Use power verbs on your resume.
Customize your resume to match each job. Click here for advice
How to correct 3 mistakes you may be making on your resume click here
Be realistic about your resume! To read about the psychology of resume readers click here
How to answer the question - "Tell Me About Yourself"
The STAR Method (for behavioral interview questions)
Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are (great Ted Talks video)
- Follow up on your application using these simple guidelines.
Read and/or listen to "How companies weed out your online job applications" from The Daily Circuit show on MPR Thursday, 2/28. It was very informative!
5 Common Mistakes Job Applicants Make click here
Be strategic with your job applications. Don't apply to every one you see! Read more here.
Job Search Strategies
- 10 Things Employers Love To See
Twitter can help you network, research opportunities and get a job. Read Twitter Helped Me Get A Job: 5 Success Stories.
Use twitter in your job search click here
Watch podcast of "Show and Tell You are the Best" by ILostMyJob.com. Click here - it's free!
- Most Important Qualities in a New Employer