Job Search Do's and Don'ts
"If Plan A didn't work, the alphabet has 25 more letters."
- Be realistic
- Follow up. Thank you notes are a must!
- Think outside the box
- Look online, apply in person
- Stay positive
- Use the economy as an excuse
- Be above any job
- Be afraid of rejection and don't take it personally.
- Make assumptions
- Be afraid of change
***Looking for a tool to help you find jobs that may only be posted on a company’s career page? LinkUp is a search engine for jobs it pulls from company websites, not the “boards”.***
Great Articles and Web Links
Resumes, Cover Letters, and Other Communications
- The Letter to Write When You Don't Get the Job
- Here’s a neat tip to move your resume to the top of the pile.
Customize your resume to match each job. Click here for advice
Cover letters - new ideas click here
How to answer the question - "Tell Me About Yourself"
The STAR Method (for behavioral interview questions)
Your Body Language Shapes Who You Are (great Ted Talks video)
Read and/or listen to "How companies weed out your online job applications" from The Daily Circuit show on MPR Thursday, 2/28. It was very informative!
5 Common Mistakes Job Applicants Make click here
Be strategic with your job applications. Don't apply to every one you see! Read more here.
Job Search Strategies
- 10 Things Employers Love To See
Twitter can help you network, research opportunities and get a job. Read Twitter Helped Me Get A Job: 5 Success Stories.
Use twitter in your job search click here
Watch podcast of "Show and Tell You are the Best" by ILostMyJob.com. Click here - it's free!
- Tips for Writing a Great LinkedIn Summary
- 5 Productivity Tips From Famously Productive People